Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) Mehmet Yılmaz has denied a previously made statement and said confessor prosecutors and judges will not be allowed return to their posts in the Justice Ministry.
“No worries. The HSYK will not return anyone who avails themselves of the Effective Repentance Law to duty again. Our board is determined on this issue,” said Yılmaz, speaking to columnist Sevilay Yükselir.
Thousands of judges and prosecutors have been suspended by the HSYK while many have been detained or arrested on the grounds that they have links to the Gülen movement, which is accused by the Turkish government of masterminding a failed coup attempt on July 15.
Speaking to the Anadolu news agency on Oct. 21, Yılmaz had said: “At the general assembly, we will discuss keeping those [suspended] judges and prosecutors in their jobs whose confessions [related to the Gülen movement] are helpful and important.”
Recalling his previous statement, Yılmaz said: “I made that statement merely to encourage confessions, and it was very successful. There were no confessions at that time, but after I issued the statement, many were obtained. By means of more than 200 confessors we gathered evidence on the FETÖ membership of 2,400 judges and prosecutors.”
It is clearly understood from the interview that
1. At time of the mass arrests of judges there was no evidence. They just started to try to find something after the arrests. It seems they still don’t have anything.
2. Criminal prosecution have been conducted by the HSYK not by the prosecution office.
3. HSYK is weighing the evidence not the courts.
4. The deputy head of HSYK lied to everybody to produce evidence; he intentionally manipulated not only the judges but also the public.
5. In the last paragraph of the article he says there is no link between the judges and the attempted coup.